Nordstrom
Okay, so many of you know that I love Nordstrom. It's a love-hate relationship. Love the clothes and shoes and make-up, but hate that it is a bit expensive. And I will admit, I've been spoiled by my mother. She and I share fond memories of my junior high and high school days, in the summer, going to the Anniversary Sale. First, we memorized the catalog and it would be marked up with the must-haves. Then, it would begin early, I think it opened at 7:00 am and we would wait in line outside the doors around 6:00 am to be the first in the doors so we could get those coveted items marked in the catalog. We would load up the clothes in our arms, as much as we could carry, and then wait in another line to get into a fitting room that was usually just a curtain and not very private. We would spend hours in my department, The Brass Plum, and then, when we had decided for me, we would go to my mom's section and she would get a few things too. And then finally, down the escalator to the shoes. After loading up there, we hauled it all to the car and home we went to pull it all out again and over the next several days, we would admire the loot, convince my dad what a good deal we had gotten because "it was on sale!" It was nuts now that I think about it.
But anyway, the reason this whole topic is even brought up... My brother, Lance, called me one afternoon, which is a little unusual for him to call me in the middle of the day, but I was delightfully surprised. He was in Utah for business and he needed to know how to get to Norstrom because he has been looking for a pair of shoes, but hasn't been able to find one. So he thought that he would see if Nordstrom had one out of desperation. Sadly, but lucky for him, I was able to give him explicit directions to the Nordstrom at Fashion Place Mall.
A few weeks later...
Yesterday I asked him in an email how his trip to Nordstrom went, and asked him if he was able to find what he needed. This was his reply...
"Nordstrom's ticks me off. Nothing worth wearing. One pair caught my eye until I saw $425! Is that in Peso's? Do they levitate?"
There are many reasons this makes me laugh-out-loud. One, he's my brother and I think he is just too funny. Two, I think I knew he wouldn't find anything there that he would be willing to pay, but I didn't want to squish his hope of finding what he was looking for at my favorite store. And three, can shoes levitate or do can they make us levitate?
I love my brother! Thanks Lance for helping inspire me to write about my favorite things...
You and Nordstrom!!
And thanks Lance for making me smile today!
Tuesday, April 8, 2008
Posted by Kimberly at 4/08/2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
At first look, I got all excited b/c I thought the Nordstrom sale was going on right now (need some shoes). I loved your vivid memories...
Kim, you might be interested to know that I hear that they are putting a Nordstrom in at The Domain. We might have to go there together. :)
That was fun! My bro & sis-in-law are merchandise buyers for Nordstrom. Yet I manage to miss the sales. I could use some shoes.
Thanks for that fun combination of memory and now.
"admire the loot"..."it was on sale"...still chuckling to myself...sounds so familiar!!!
My teens were also very similar. Do you think that teens today do that sale the same way we use to?
I have the same memories. oh yeah, I was there!
Post a Comment