Thursday, April 29, 2010

camping at tejas

A last minute decision, a "late start" on Saturday (meaning games were later in the day), and beautiful weather led us on a night out camping one weekend (April 10th). Seriously, the weather was perfect and it was a good time. After school on Friday, we loaded up the car, completely full I might add, and we headed to Lake Georgetown to the campground Tanner went to with the scouts, Camp Tejas. We had to "pack" our things in the 100 feet - many hands make light work. We set-up camp before it got dark and the kids helped Huy start a great fire so we could cook out hot dog dinner.



There was a nice little patch of bluebonnets near our site so I didnt' know if I was going to be able to get the kids out for pictures at a later date so I made them take a few here. It wasn't quite the look I was going for, but the bluebonnets sure were pretty.


We invited the Colquitt's to come camp with us, but they opted for a night by the fire and then head home to their own beds. Can you blame them? It was fun to have them come so we all had someone to hang with!






Chelon out did herself with her tinfoil dinner masterpieces. She was so nice to share. They were so yummy!



Of course, the best part about a campfire is the smores. Yum, yum!









Looking for a gift for your dad for Father's Day? A head lamp is a great one. Everyone enjoyed it!



Such CRAZY fun we had.



Bedtime did eventually come.



And so did morning. With little time to play, we cleaned-up camp and took a short walk to the lake so Nike could go for a swim.







We got the car packed up and everyone piled in, literally, when Huy sat beside me ready to drive us home and asked, "Do you have the keys?" "No" was my reply. So there we sat. We thought and thought about who had them last, where they might be, what did we use them for, were they lost in the long grass somewhere along the way to and from the car? Oh where or where could they be?

To make a very long, 45 minutes of searching and thinking much shorter, and calling Chelon to drive our spare keys out to us, I would have sworn they were lost in the grass so as I was searching there, the campsite host walks by and asked if we had checked our sleeping bags? I dismissed the comment for a bit, sure that I had covered that option in my mind, but then I thought, "Well, that IS one place we hadn't looked," so back to the car I went. Since everything had been removed in our efforts to find the keys before, the sleeping bags weren't far to reach. Huy had slept under some blankets so if they were going to be anywhere, I prayed they were in my sleeping bag. As I dumped it upside down, out dropped a clinking sound and yes, there were the keys.

Chelon didn't have to come ALL the way out to the campsites again, but we sure appreciate her help and willingness to drop everything in her day to come to our rescue. We still made it home in time to change clothes and head out to our soccer and football games. It was a wild ending to our nice campout!

2 comments:

Karina said...

Looks so fun!

On our two-week road trip, at 5:00 am in the dark, Steve and I lost our keys too. We had a pitiful flashlight and searched a good half hour.

He suggested we pray. We did. We waited for an answer. We got one. Steve said, "I know where they are" and went right to them.

chelon:) said...

i need these pictures :) we had a great time. i hope that next time we can sleep over! thanks for the invite. xoxo