Friday, February 29, 2008

Happy Leap Day 2008 Everybody!


Little did I know that Leap Day would be such an important day in my life. I use to think nothing of it, except that maybe "that's weird." But now, it is Kaylie's birthday and so it is technically her 1st birthday today! She has no clue why people keep asking her, "Oh, is it your 1st birthday?" She quickly replies, "No, (holds up her three, then changes it to four fingers) I'm this many!"

So... I thought I'd let you all in on a few "nuggets of wisdom" about Leap Day that I found in the LDS Living magazine and thought it was pretty cool.

Leap Day occurs every four years, when an extra day is added to the month of February. In honor of 2008 being such a year, here is some leap year trivia:

* The actual length of a year is 365.242 days , not 365.

* Although a leap day is added to the calendar every four years, this is not the case if it is a century year such as 1800 or 1900. Only one in every four century years has a leap day; otherwise there would be three extra days every 400 years. The next century year to have a leap day will be the year 2100.

* Leap Day, February 29, is also traditionally known as Sadie Hawkins Day - the only day in the year when women are allowed to pop the question themselves rather than having to wait for their beuas to propose.

* There are about 4 million people living who were born on a leap day!

So I guess that mean Kaylie is in one-in-four-million! She will be having a big party later today - A princess one! She is so excited!

3 comments:

chingchong7 said...

Happy "1st" Birthda Kaylie! Hope you have the greatest Princess birthday party ever! I'm sure your mom has a great party planned out! Thanks for the info on Leap Year! Pretty cool stuff that I didn't know about!

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday, Kaylie! How cool to have such a special birthday! I love reading your blog, Kim. It's so great to have updates on your cute family

Lars said...

How fun! One of our neighbors at the time also had her baby girl that same day. The mom really, really wanted to have her baby on that day. I've only known one other leap baby and she was my neighbor on the farm & my sister's age.

Happy birthday Kaylie!!

Lauriann